Works start on next phase at Bolton School
WORK has begun on the £3.5m development of a new Girls’ Junior School at Bolton School.
Construction of the scheme is expected to take around 12 months, with completion in time for the start of the 2010/11 academic year.
The new three-story building will comprise 11 classrooms including an IT suite, arts room and science room, as well as a main performance hall and library.
The work, the latest stage of a £12m expansion programme at the historic school that has also seen the expansion of the Boys’ Division Junior School, follows the completion of a new infants school.
Pupils have already moved into the new Infants’ School during June, after practical completion of the building in May.
While each phase of work has been tendered separately, the main contractor G&J Seddon and architects Cassidy & Ashton have been working with consulting engineers Hilson Moran throughout the build over the last 18 months.
Simon Marsden, clerk and treasurer at the school, said: “This is a £12m investment in the education and futures of young people in the borough. The new buildings will be state of the art, providing large classrooms and utilising the very latest in technological equipment. We are all extremely excited about this project.”
One of the oldest schools in Lancashire, Bolton School dates back to at least 1516, when the original Bolton Grammar School for Boys was first recorded. The Bolton Girls’ Day School was established in 1877, becoming one of the earliest public day schools for girls in the country.