Firm in administration after botched tower block demolition

A family-owned demolition firm, which got into hot water after a tower block demolition went awry, has gone into administration with the loss of 56 jobs.

J Bryan (Victoria) Ltd in Widnes has been operating since 1960 but ceased trading on June 30, although administrators Patrick Lannagan and Conrad Pearson of accountancy firm Mazars have only just been appointed.

It is understood that the company experienced cash-flow difficulties as a result of costs and losses incurred following problems with the demolition of two tower blocks in Seaforth in April last year.

Churchill and Montgomery Houses were both left standing after explosives failed to bring them down.

Although Churchill House collapsed after a second attempt two hours later, Montgomery was left in an unstable condition for a week, forcing many residents to leave their homes while the contractors demolished the tower block with a giant crane.

Joint administrator Patrick Lannagan said the company’s position was compounded in recent months as a result of a downturn in contracted work and, as a result, director Mark Bryan took the decision that the company should enter administration.

Lannagan said: “The administrators will now proceed with realising the company’s assets, including the company’s freehold premises in Halebank, Widnes, and welcome any interest that may be forthcoming in those.

“The administrators will be writing to all creditors, including the former employees, over the next few days with further details of the next steps in the process.”

Join us at the 2022 Rainmaker Awards
Close