Notts County respond to claims fraudster is involved in sale process
Notts County have been forced into making a statement about one of the parties interested in buying the club after it was reported that a convicted fraudster could be involved as an adviser.
Over the weekend, The Mirror reported that one of the groups involved in bidding for the Magpies, led by lawyer Colin Dodd, using adviser Alex May.
The Mirror says May changed his name by deed poll, was previously known as Alick Kapikanya and was jailed in
2014 for six years for heading up a group which targeted elderly homeowners in Manchester from 2007.
The Mirror says May’s group stole their identities, seized ownership of their houses then repeatedly remortgaged them – walking away with £3.5m.
Dodd told Mirror Sport: “Alex May, when we were first introduced, disclosed everyone about his conviction. He has changed his name. He came clean and told us and everyone involved in this transaction is aware of that.
“He deserves a second chance, everyone makes mistakes in life and that is what we are doing.”
On Saturday, Notts County moved to release a statement on their website, which said: “Notts County are aware of recent press reports regarding the involvement of Alex May in a prospective takeover of the club.
“The club will be speaking to the group about the involvement of Mr May, who has been acting as their advisor only, to establish their plans moving forward.”
Meanwhile, on 26 April, Dodd registered a company called Meadow Lane Project. It’s address is listed as 7 The Ropewalk, Nottingham. He is the sole director of the company.
Last week, a Winding Up petition against Notts County over unpaid HMRC bills has been adjourned for a second time.
Judge Jones in the High Court this morning decided to give Magpies owner Alan Hardy more time to complete the sale of the club.
Judge Jones has adjourned the hearing until July 10th. It is the second time the hearing has been adjourned.
Meanwhile, Paragon Leisure, the company Hardy used to buy Notts County in January 2017 has escaped being dissolved after having a strike off action against it discontinued, which will give ‘Pies fans cause for optimism that a deal to sell the club to a South African consortium could be concluded at some point over the next week.