Airport strike action abandoned after union members accept employer’s offer

A series of strikes at Liverpool John Lennon airport have been cancelled after GMB union members accepted a last ditch offer.

The union had warned the airport to brace itself for a Summer of disruption after 200 members working on the Swissport easyJet contract and Swissport Mainline contract voted for industrial action earlier this month.

On the eve of the first planned strike, on August 22, Swissport made a new offer addressing the health and safety issues and working practices, which led to industrial action being suspended, and the offer has now been accepted by both groups of members.

GMB organiser Eddie Parker said: “GMB members have voted to accept this offer which will improve health and safety, the working environment and contractual benefits for our members.

“This shows what people can achieve through collective action and trade union membership.”

He added: “We are grateful to Swissport for making a compromise at the last minute before anyone’s holiday was disrupted.”

The union had planned three initial days of stoppages on the Bank Holiday weekend of August 22, 24, as well as August 29, in the row over pay.

Further strike dates were expected to follow, and workers would have been under a continuous overtime ban.

An airport spokesperson said: “Whilst Swissport’s contingency plans meant that no disruption for passengers was planned, we are naturally pleased that this proposed industrial action will now not be taking place and that Swissport employees have accepted the company’s latest proposal.”

Swissport has been contacted for comment.

Close