Liverpool City Council’s head of regeneration dismissed

Nick Kavanagh
X The Business Desk

Register for free to receive latest news stories direct to your inbox

Register

Liverpool City Council director of regeneration, Nick Kavanagh, has been dismissed from his £145k position.

Mr Kavanagh was arrested by Merseyside Police in December 2019, on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud and misconduct in a public office, as part of their Operation Aloft investigations into property dealings in the Liverpool area.

He was rearrested on September 30, 2020, on suspicion of conspiracy to commit bribery.

He has not been charged with any offences.

Mr Kavanagh, who was suspended by the council, was appointed director for regeneration in 2011 and was in charge of the city’s major regeneration schemes.

However, following a meeting of the council’s Appointments and Disciplinary Committee it was announced yesterday (March 22) that Mr Kavanagh had been dismissed, with immediate effect.

In an email to councillors, the authority’s chief executive, Tony Reeves, said: “I want to let you know that Nick Kavanagh is no longer employed by Liverpool City Council. His employment as Director of Regeneration and Economy has ceased with immediate effect.”

Mr Kavanagh said he will “fight to defend my innocence”.

Following a series of arrests linked to Operation Aloft, including the city’s elected mayor, Joe Anderson, last December, the Government sent in its own inspector, Max Caller, to scrutinise the council’s dealings.

He has now submitted his report to Local Government Secretary Robert Jenrick, who is expected to announce this week whether or not he will send in commissioners to take over day-to-day operations at the authority.

 

Close