Manchester Metrolink strikes suspended as workers secure improved pay offer

X The Business Desk

Register for free to receive latest news stories direct to your inbox

Register

Planned strikes on the Manchester Metrolink tram system this weekend have been suspended after workers received a greatly improved pay offer.

Members of trade union Unite had overwhelmingly voted for industrial action and strikes were due to take place this weekend (Saturday 25 and Sunday 26 September). This would have significantly disrupted spectators attending the Manchester United vs Aston Villa football match and the Great Manchester Run the following day.

Unite general secretary, Sharon Graham, said: “By taking a stand our members have forced management to return to negotiations and table a greatly improved pay offer.

“This demonstrates when Unite is wholly dedicated to advancing jobs, pay and conditions we can get a better deal for our members.”

Following extensive negotiations yesterday (September 20) between Unite and senior management at Keolis/Amey, which operates Metrolink, a vastly improved pay offer was agreed, said the union.

The Unite members at Metrolink will now vote on the offer, which Unite is recommending they accept.

Unite regional officer, Dave Roberts, said: Unite had been clear from the outset that the previous pay offer was not fit for purpose but if management at Keolis/Amey tabled an acceptable offer, strikes could be avoided.

“The suspension in strike action will allow our members to fully consider the improved pay offer,” he said.

The workers had been previously offered a one per cent pay increase spread over a 15-month period, which was, in effect, a large pay cut in real terms, said Unite.

Transport for Greater Manchester has been contacted for comment.

Close