Train services ramping back up across the North
More rail services have been brought back for people across the North of England as Government restrictions begin to ease.
TransPennine Express (TPE) has reinstated a number of pre-Covid services across its network as customers begin to return to the railway.
Following the changes, the train company says it is now running 80% of its total pre-Covid timetable with extra carriages to help support social distancing, and is operating the following:
- Hourly service between Liverpool and Newcastle
- Hourly service between Hull and Manchester Piccadilly
- Hourly stopping service between Leeds and Huddersfield
- Hourly stopping service between Manchester Piccadilly and Huddersfield
- Hourly service between Manchester Airport and Redcar Central
- Hourly service between Cleethorpes and Manchester Piccadilly
- Two-hourly service between Manchester Airport and Edinburgh
- Shuttle service between York and Scarborough
Additionally, there are limited TPE services between Newcastle and Edinburgh along with Glasgow Central to Liverpool Lime Street and Manchester Airport.
Extra measures including a rigorous cleaning programme are in place on TPE’s trains and at stations and those travelling are reminded to wear a face covering unless exempt.
Kathryn O’Brien, customer experience director for TransPennine Express, said: “We are thrilled to have been able to bring back a number of services and are looking forward to welcoming customers back on-board.
“Anyone planning to travel by train can do so with confidence, with an enhanced cleaning programme and social distancing in place to keep everyone safe, both on our trains and at stations.
“Our customers can also do their bit and help keep others safe by wearing a face covering, using hand sanitiser and following the guidance provided.”
Tickets can be purchased online via tpexpress.couk or using the TPExpress App where people can pay using Apple Pay or PayPal.
E-tickets are also available allowing customers to use their phone instead of a paper ticket.