Former convent to be converted into luxury apartments
A former West Lancs convent is to be converted into luxury apartments, together with 18 other new homes on adjacent land as part of a wider scheme.
Proposals from Trafford Park-based developer the P J Livesey Group to redevelop the site of the Victorian villa in Parbold have been approved by West Lancashire Council.
Built in 1845 for the Ainscough family, Lancaster House, on Lancaster Lane, was acquired in 1947 by The Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur UK who occupied the 6.5-acre site up until 2021.
PJ Livesey’s plans will see the main house – which retains many original features including an ornate ceiling – converted to create four grand apartments.
A neighbouring cottage will be restored as a single property and the estate’s stable block, which includes a brick tower, converted to provide five properties.
A 1980’s accommodation block will be demolished and 13 new build family houses built in the grounds.
The planning committee praised the scheme for taking into account local views and amending access to minimise damage to mature trees and including a pedestrian route through the site.
The extensive gardens, which include hedged walkways and a well, will be restored and be a shared amenity for residents.
The application was supported by the Parish Council and unanimously approved by the committee which welcomed it as “a benefit to all the community.”
PJ Livesey managing director, Georgina Lynch, said: “Lancaster House has a grand history and connection with the Ainscough family who played such an important role in the area’s development.
“Our plans will safeguard the building and the original layout of the gardens and we are delighted they have now been approved.
“We would anticipate work to start on site in spring next year with the first homes available in 2025.”