Transport: Busy October leaves Birmingham Airport in buoyant mood

BIRMINGHAM Airport has ended the summer flying season on a high as nearly 900,000 people chose the Midlands airport in October.
Latest figures reveal the airport handled 878,689 passengers last month, which represents an increase of 5.8% compared to October 2013.
October’s passenger figures follow an historic summer for Birmingham Airport. August saw the airport record the busiest month in its 75 year history and it has welcomed more than 6.6 m passengers between April and October.
Paul Kehoe, Birmingham Airport CEO believes more good times are ahead following recent new route announcements with American Airlines and Vueling.
He said: “We’ve seen more and more passengers choose Birmingham Airport this summer, breaking records along the way, so it’s only fitting we end the season with another really strong performance.
“This summer has raised the bar for next year and we’re confident we can rise to that challenge. Not only are we seeing many airlines increasing frequencies and operating bigger aircraft that have more seats for next summer, but recently we announced two key new routes to New York JFK with American Airlines and Barcelona with Vueling, both starting in summer ‘15.

All this week – in conjunction with Virgin Trains, Birmingham Airport and the University of Birmingham – is focusing on regional transport and transport infrastructure issues. 

We have produced a special supplement on the sector which includes coverage from a round table attended by a number of the West Midlands’ transport industry’s ‘big hitters’.

To download our transport supplement click here.  

“The introduction of these new routes, which carry a BA codeshare, will give passengers more choice and only strengthen the demand that already exists to fly from Birmingham, as we have seen this summer.”
Scheduled traffic in October accounted for 83.6% of all traffic, with charter flights making up the remaining 16.4%

Click here to sign up to receive our new South West business news...