Green light for work to commence on Hulme hotel and apart-hotel

The proposed scheme
X The Business Desk

Register for free to receive latest news stories direct to your inbox

Register

Manchester City Council planning committee approved plans for work to commence on a 154-bed hotel and 88-bed apart-hotel in Hulme, at its meeting this afternoon (October 21).

Outline permission was granted in 2018, and today’s committee dealt with finer details, such as layout and landscaping.

However, Hulme Ward councillor Annette Wright spoke against the proposal, raising concerns about poor access to the local tram stop and also disputing claims that the site is “a gateway into the city centre”.

She also spoke about the fears of nearby residents, saying: “Locals are scared of the gentrification of their area.”

In response, planning officer Dave Roscoe pointed out that outline planning permission had already been approved, and, during the course of the proposal, consultation with the local community had taken place, both in 2014 and 2018.

The proposal, supported by Bricks Cornbrook Propco and Peel L&P Developments, was carried in a vote of members.

The site, bounded by Dinton Street, Cornbrook Road, Chester Road and Trentham Street, would include public realm, car parking, and other associated works following the demolition of existing buildings with a part-11, part-15 storey building proposed.

Planning officer notes to the committee supported the scheme, saying the proposal would have a positive impact on the regeneration of this part of the city centre, including contributing to the supply of high quality hotel accommodation and removing a vacant and under-used site.

The notes said active frontages and improvements to the public realm would help connect this development to the wider city centre.

And planning officers said the scale and appearance of the hotel is appropriate at this gateway site and the landscaping would be acceptable.

 

Close