Integrated services group snaps up major infrastructure provider
South Staffordshire Plc (SSPlc), a group that operates two regulated water companies and a range of complementary non-regulated businesses, has bought a 92.5% shareholding in Northants-based Infrastructure Gateway Ltd (IGL), with an option to acquire the remaining 7.5% in 2026.
The deal was backed by its shareholder – funds managed by Arjun Infrastructure Partners. SSPlc’s clean energy business already includes electric vehicle charging infrastructure and ground source and district heating services.
Kettering-based IGL, the UK’s largest independent multi-utility infrastructure provider, currently serves residential housebuilders and commercial developers across the East of England. It is also one of the UK’s top three providers of water connections to Ofwat appointed NAVs (New Appointments and Variations).
Phil Newland, CEO of South Staffordshire Plc, said: “This acquisition brings a highly complementary capability to our existing services, helping us to further strengthen our energy infrastructure and decarbonisation offerings. The expertise and passion of the IGL team has meant the business has already achieved a market leading position, and we’re excited to welcome the IGL team to our group and to support the next chapter of their development as part of our overall growth strategy.”
Steven Draper, managing director of Infrastructure Gateway Limited, added: “We are delighted to join SSPlc and look forward to our future as part of the group. We already have a strong regional client base, and SSPlc is the perfect fit to help us drive further growth opportunities; expanding our services nationwide and into next generation essential infrastructure markets.”
The deal was advised on by Dow Schofield Watts and law firm Shakespeare Martineau. The terms of the transaction were not disclosed.