Brazilian restaurant back in business after settling rent dispute

X The Business Desk

Register for free to receive latest news stories direct to your inbox

Register

Brazilian-style grill restaurant Rodizio Rico is back in business today after settling a dispute with their landlords over an alleged £416 in unpaid rent.

Eversheds Sutherland advised the owners of Rodizio Rico Birmingham in its dispute with landlord at The Cube, Cube LH Co. Limited, over allegations.

TheBusinessDesk.com spoke to owner Mike Nayla last week (24 April) after it emerged that the business had been thrown out of their premises at the Birmingham retail and leisure centre.

The restaurant had been in dispute with the landlords regarding an adjusted service charge, which had been dated back two years. Nayla told TheBusinessDesk.com that the forfeiture of the leases was served at 4am on Good Friday with no prior warning.

Eversheds said it had advised on the dispute and the subsequent potential legal case over the landlord’s right to change the locks on the premises and terminate the lease.

Rodizio Rico was back in the premises yesterday afternoon (2 May), and The Cube has reinstated the restaurant on its website.

Lisa Barge, partner, real estate litigation, Eversheds Sutherland, said: “We’re pleased to see the Rodizio Rico restaurant rightfully back in their site within The Cube and wish their restaurant all the very best in the future.

“The dispute arose over alleged rent arrears from Rodizio Rico Birmingham Limited who run the restaurant, sums which were contested but nevertheless duly paid.

“The landlord considered that our client could not re-enter the premises without a court process to reinstate an alleged terminated lease.

“Thankfully we were able reach a resolution with the landlord within 48 hours of being instructed, meaning Rodizio Rico can re-enter the premises without the need for reliance on the court process and further loss to our client.”

Samantha Miller, associate, real estate litigation, Eversheds Sutherland,added: “It’s unfortunate that the incident occurred over the Easter weekend; we understand the closure cost Rodizio Rico a significant loss of revenue from circa 1,200 bookings which did not help matters.

“We hope customers will return to this popular restaurant now it’s reopened, and that Rodizio Rico enjoys a successful bank holiday weekend trade.”

Close