New 131-home residential estate to take a step closer
New council homes could take a step closer next week when plans go before Nottingham City Council’s Executive Board for approval (Tuesday 21 July).
If approved, the new council homes will be developed on a former school playing field off Beckhampton Road in Bestwood.
A total of 131 homes are proposed for the site and include 72 two-bed and 14 three-bed houses, five one-bed bungalows, five three-bed disabled access bungalows and 35 one-bed flats. All of these types of homes are in high demand in Bestwood and will go to people on the council’s waiting list.
Nottingham City Homes which is the council’s development agent and also manage the council’s housing stock, submitted a planning application for the scheme in May.
Councillor Linda Woodings, Portfolio Holder for Planning, Housing and Heritage at Nottingham City Council, said: “Helping people on the housing waiting list remains a priority for the City Council.
“Not only will this provide much-needed homes for those who need them, but building homes also encourages investment, creates jobs and helps to support local supply chain businesses, which will help aid the city’s recovery from the Coronavirus as lockdown measures are eased.
“The site in Bestwood provides an opportunity to regenerate the area and create new affordable accommodation, which meets the needs of Nottingham people waiting for a home.
“We hope to build even more homes in the future, but are looking to the Government to show greater flexibility with the rules surrounding funding in order to allow us to do this.”
Nick Murphy, chief executive at Nottingham City Homes, said: “We’ve worked with the council to build nearly 600 new council houses in the city so far and we are committed to building even more for Nottingham people.
“There is a real need for social housing across the city. With over 9,000 local households on our waiting list, Beckhampton would provide a range of much needed genuinely affordable homes for Nottingham families if approved.”