£1bn Midland Mainline Electrification programme begins briefings
Ahead of the tendering process for the £1bn next phase of the Midland Mainline Electrification programme, Network Rail is engaging firms for a market briefing.
Phase 3 will cover a 139km stretch of the line from South Wigston to Sheffield and is a continuation of the completed London to Corby electrification.
Overhead line equipment will need to be extended to Sheffield and Nottingham, the route will need to be cleared to accommodate an OLE extension and the power supply will need to be increased to support electric passenger services to Sheffield and Nottingham.
Part of the electrification programme has already been procured with contractor SPL delivering electrification between Kettering and South Wigston.
Plans will be set out for the project before inviting tenders for works at the end of this year.
The next stage of procurement for the Midland Main Line Electrification programme is split into seven routes and includes over 67 structures.
- Route Section 2 (RS2) – Wigston South to Syston 19.5km
- Route Section 3 (RS3) – Syston to Trent Junction 28.7km
- Route Section 4 (RS4) – Sheet Stores Junction to Chaddesden Sidings (Derby) 15.7km
- Route Section 5 (RS5) – Trent Junction to Nottingham 13.1km
- Route Section 6 (RS6) – Chaddesden Sidings (Derby) to Toadmoor Tunnel 16.7km
- Route Section 7 (RS7) – Toadmoor Tunnel to London Road 43.3km
- Route Section 8 (RS8) – London Road to Sheffield North 2.5km
Network Rail holding a Midland Main Line electrification market engagement briefing event at Pride Park Stadium, Derby and online as an MS Teams live event on 15th June 2022 at 10:00 and 13:00.
Firms can register an interest via the Eventbrite link by the 10th June, 5pm.